We encourage a personal fundraising goal of $500. While our residential program is free of charge to the young women we serve, our financial resources depend on the support of friends of Mercy.
For many, fundraising can be an intimidating task—don’t sweat it! It’s easier than you think.
- Use your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media accounts to get the word out. Link them to your personal fundraising page and ask them to donate!
- Spare change can go a long way. Give your friends and family a decorated jar and ask them to donate their spare change over the next few weeks. You could also ask your favourite restaurant or store to put a collection jar on their counter or ask your child’s school to have a coin collecting contest between classes. Ever wonder what your local mall does with the coins thrown in their fountain? Ask them to donate their coins to your fundraising efforts!
- Clean out the garage. Everyone has stuff they’d love to get rid of, and this is the season for garage sales. Ask friends and family to donate items for your sale and make a sign letting buyers know all proceeds will go to Mercy.
- Get those cars washed. Hold a car wash in your neighbourhood, place of worship, or local business. Ask local businesses to donate the supplies you’ll need and ask your friends or your Run for Mercy team to help you wash. Consider adding a dog wash!
- Have a party! Hold a dinner party for at least 10 of your friends and ask for a per person donation. If you invite 10 people ask for $50 and spend just $20 per person on food and drinks, you will raise $300!
- Celebrate your birthday with meaning. Ask friends and family to make a donation in lieu of gifts.
- Get your own personal corporate sponsor. Ask a corporate sponsor for a large donation on behalf of you or your team and offer to advertise for them by wearing their shirt while training and at the event.
- Speak to your church family. Ask your church if you can speak to the congregation about Mercy and your fundraising efforts. Encourage everyone to join your team or make a donation.
- Ask for a piece of the action. Many businesses already have programs in place to help you fundraise. Ask for a percentage of the profits for one night at your favourite pizzeria, ice cream parlour, hair salon, or other retail store.
Feel free to use these great ideas to reach your fundraising goals and be creative! The most important part is getting the word out. Many are willing to give; they just need to be asked!
Our top fundraisers will be recognized and awarded at the event, so start fundraising today! Individuals who raise $175 or more will receive our exclusive Mercy Canada water bottle for FREE!